Can you imagine the world without the selfie? It’s hard to remember what that life was like (if you’re even old enough to remember it!).
Selfies allow us to capture a mood, share a moment, and pause to reflect on life, but they are even more valuable when they come with a caption. Selfie captions help others understand your point of view, give context to the picture, and add more depth. When you’re running a business, the perfect selfie with a spot-on caption can be the best way to showcase your company. But sometimes, it’s easier said than done.
Coming up with a really rockstar selfie caption, especially when you’re under pressure to post that pic on Instagram or Facebook and move on, can be the hardest thing you do that day! You’re on the spot and every clever idea flies out of your head.
Hey. That’s why we’re here.
Steal one or more of our 50 best selfie captions for small business owners, so that you can show the world the best version of who you are.
1. The motivational selfie
Owning a small business can be wonderful, but it can also be hard work sometimes. Occasionally, you get stuck in a rut, and you need something to lift you out of it and help you find your determination again.
Motivational selfies are a great way to inspire yourself with some captions that help you find your inner taskmaster, and to pay it forward to other people who need some inspiration or inspired you in the past.
- “Do what is right, not what is easy”
- “Never be afraid of change. You may lost something good, but you may gain something even better”
- “I have a dream that is worth more than sleep”
- “You didn’t come this far to only come this far”
- “Pressure is what turns coal into diamonds”
2. The #humblebrag selfie
Nobody likes too much #humblebrag, but a little of it at the right time can raise your business profile and your personal profile, and makes you feel good.
#humblebrag captions are the ones to use when you’ve just scored that business deal, launched your third service line, or managed to make a profit for the 2nd month running.
Although you don’t want to go on for toooo long, humblebrag captions are usually a little longer than standard, because you need to explain what you’ve achieved and how much it cost you to get there.
- “It’s been 3 years since I launched my yoga business, and I’m pretty proud of the community I’ve built here. 600 members, 200 weekly visitors.”
- “My new website is finally up and running! You can book your consultation with me at url.com 24/7. Drop me a comment and let me know what you think of my new brand colors!”
- “I brought 50 bottles of my new blend of relaxing massage oil to a local community fair in Houston yesterday. I didn’t expect to sell many; I really came for the opportunity to network for my massage business and to support my neighbor (shout out to @Lisa) who ran the entire shebang. But #brag: I sold out within 2 hours, and 50 more people took my card!”
- “Just finished checking our annual revenue, and we’ve exceeded 2018 by 200%! It’s been a crazy year of hard work, but it’s paid off.”
- “Just got my 17th 5-star review. Nothing makes me happier than a happy customer.”
3. Behind the scenes
In general, you like to give the impression that everything at work moves smoothly and without too much effort. But it can be very valuable to give your customers and clients a peek behind the scenes of your business from time to time.
We’re talking about things like revealing the all-nighter you’re pulling before a big launch, or sharing the vibe in your office when the bookings keep rolling in.
- “It’s almost Thanksgiving weekend, which means we’re pulling all-nighters to complete our last Turkey Day cake orders. Here’s a peek at the atmosphere in the kitchens right now.”
- “Welcome to a new week of creativity and inspiration.”
- “There’s no place I’d rather be right now and there’s nothing else I’d rather be doing!”
- “A happy client just sent us a muffin basket, and we’re in heaven!”
- “This is what the office looks like on bring-your-pet-to-work day!”
4. Anniversary / special event
It’s your business’ 5th birthday? You’re working your 100th gig as a cat sitter? Addressing an online trade industry conference? Or maybe you’re an honored guest at the local small business awards dinner?
Capture your special moment with a selfie caption that brings the experience full circle. If you’re at a big event that has its own hashtag, don’t forget to use it in your caption.
- “Addressing a crowd of 500 at the #XXConference was way beyond awesome”
- “Happy birthday to us! Tina’s Nail Styles is 5 years old today!”
- “Can’t wait to get the party started at the senior prom at @SFHighSchool!”
- “Ok, truth be told, I’m a little nervous to be honored with the Giving Back award at the North Shore local business awards dinner. #NorthShore #homegrownbusiness #givingback”
- “This is what winning the tender for redesigning Chicago’s biggest nightclub looks like”
5. The “keeping it real” selfie
Most of the time, you only want to share the good stuff. You want your Facebook or Instagram or face to be always positive, to only share good things, and generally create a buzz around your business of moving from one success to another.
But it can also be worth it, and incredibly human, to share the truth when things don’t go your way.
Make no mistake. You don’t want to wallow in self-pity, or make it look like nothing goes right for your company. But if you can tread the fine line between whining and honesty, it can really boost your online reputation.
Showing yourself when the chips are down reveals that you have determination and persistence to keep going when the times get tough. It brings in admiration for your courgae, shows your humanity behind the branding, and it can even win you the sympathy vote.
- “Hurt in private, Heal in silence, Shine in public”
- “When you hit rock bottom, the only thing to do is pick yourself up and start climbing”
- “Rock bottoms will teach you lessons that mountains never will”
- “Not gonna lie, the disappointment is real. We lost out on the opportunity to run the cleaning service at a huge international corporation’s HQ nearby. But we’ll pick ourselves up and keep proving that tomorrow is better than yesterday.”
- “Today we found out just how much damage #hurricanewilma caused. We’ve lost about 6 months of work and all our equipment. Tomorrow we’ll recover our backup data and try to put things back together, but for now we’re just feeling the pain.”
6. The relaxed selfie
You work darn hard, so you need to play hard too. Share a selfie that shows you chilling at the end of a tough week, or lets people see your team bonding over cocktails, an escape room game, or ultimate frisbee.
Nowadays it’s all about work-life balance, so no one’s going to think less of you if you show that you take a break from time to time. On the contrary, when you let people see the man or woman behind the business, they’ll feel more of a personal connection with your brand.
- “The team that plays together, succeeds together”
- “It’s been a long week. Time for a break!”
- “If you don’t know how to relax, you won’t know how to work hard”
- “My happy place”
- “We’ve done everything we could this week, now it’s time to relax”
7. The “quotes” selfie
Sometimes, your selfie can kill two birds with one stone. Matching your selfie to your favorite quote from literature, history, songs, or leaders in your business industry can make your post doubly popular. It can be funny, inspirational, silly, or philosophical; it all depends on your mood.
- “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses” — Harry T. Ford
- “If you look closely, most overnight successes take a long time” — Steve Jobs
- “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there” — Will Rogers
- “I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.” — Estee Lauder
- “The only way around is through” — Robert Frost
8. The challenge selfie
Slow news day? Use a selfie caption to launch a challenge that will boost engagement and ramp up the number of comments you get!
For example, you can start a contest or giveaway, like taking a selfie of you with your pooch after a long, muddy walk, and offer a free dog grooming session for for whoever posts the muckiest doggie selfie and tags your business.
Or, your caption could contain a question asking for advice or feedback, like taking a selfie of you pulling an all-nighter getting your website ready and asking for tips on surviving the night. Here are some ideas:
- “It’s going to be a long night. What’s your favorite hack for staying focused when you pull an all-nighter?”
- “Share your manicure selfie and tag Chrissie’s nails to win a free mani-pedi.”
- “We’re giving away a free consultation to remake your kitchen. Share a selfie of you in your kitchen and tell us why you need a new one! Contest ends 4/3/2020”
- “I’m usually so careful about what I eat, but cinnamon buns are my downfall! What’s your biggest weakness that throws you off your diet?”
- “It’s contest time! Take my #6weekchallenge to a stronger body in time for Memorial Day Weekend. Details in the comments.”
9. The seasonal selfie
Taking selfies throughout the year gives you a way to mark the changing seasons and keep up with the rhythm of nature and time. Don’t be shy about sharing your selfies from the first beach day this year, getting ready for Hallowe’en, or bundling up for a snowy walk.
- “First day of SUMMER and I’m lovin’ it!”
- “It’s Easter time at Kara’s Katering”
- “At Dan’s Body Shop, we’re all ready for the snow and ice”
- “I’m so excited for Christmas, I just can’t wait any longer.”
- “Honoring the brave men and women who gave their life and health for our country #VeteransDay”
- “Wearing my favorite cozy sweater and enjoying the fall colors”
10. The advice selfie
Combine your selfie with advice, tips, or guidance that makes it truly useful for all your current and future clients. It’ll help set you up as a thought leader and valuable source of information across social media, and increases the number of shares you’ll get.
- “#tipoftheday Start your day with some small tasks that you can easily cross off your to-do list, to build up momentum for the bigger ones”
- “Clean your refrigerator coils every few months to remove dirt and grease, so that your refrigerator will be as energy efficient as possible. #tipoftheday”
- “#TipOfTheDay Start your morning with a glass of hot water with lemon. It’ll flush out toxins and give you energy for the whole day.”
- “There’ll always be someone who charges less than you, so make your value clear #tipoftheday”
- “#tipoftheday Use this discount code to unlock 10% off massages throughout February. First come, first served!”
Does that get your creative juices flowing? Flip your camera around, take a selfie, and get posting!