More entrepreneurs than ever before are ditching the traditional office set up and embracing working from anywhere. Advancements in technology like instant messaging apps and video conferencing software help us connect with customers and colleagues alike, making flexible working a new reality for millions.
Many service based small business owners are considering taking this freedom a step further, and are exploring the idea of exclusively using their smartphones to manage their organizations’ day-to-day operations. Here’s what you should know about how to run a business from your phone.
Can you run a business using a smartphone?
Yes, you definitely can – however, there is significant logistical and practical planning you’ll need to do in order to transition to managing your business exclusively from your mobile phone.
First, you’ll need to evaluate what tasks can be done from your phone, and which ones require the use of a computer. Although you can likely transfer the majority of your work needs to a mobile format, there are certain functions that might be more comfortable to manage on your laptop.
For example, when it comes to accounting and crunching numbers, you might find that the screen of your cellphone is too small for looking at spreadsheets and it’s tricky to toggle back and forth between tabs and accounts.
How do you run your business from your smartphone?
Once you’ve determined exactly which elements of your business make sense to manage on mobile, it’s time to start downloading the apps that you use in your regular workflow and that provide you with the ability to execute tasks, as well as assign responsibilities to others.
You’ll need to install the mobile versions of the PC apps that you use in your business’ day-to-day operations, like email, messaging platforms, word processing and more. But beyond those basic necessities, you must have the right tools in place on your mobile device to stay on top of what’s happening within your organization.
At a minimum, you’ll need a mobile application that offers you Customer Relationship Management (CRM), a platform for scheduling demos and meetings, as well as a solution for payment collection, including invoicing and billing. Without access to those critical elements of your business accessible to you on your mobile device, it’s next to impossible to run your business from your phone.
vcita’s all-in-one business management app gives you all of these functionalities, and more. You can also manage marketing campaigns and other sales-focused outreach to your existing customers and prospects via the vcita app on your smartphone.
Having apps like vcita on your phone will give you some peace of mind, knowing your entire business operations are on your phone and you can access your business from anywhere.
Pros of using your smartphone to run your business
Running your business from your smartphone gives you serious benefits.
- You can skip looking for an office, because you can work from your home, local cafe, park, or anywhere else you want.
- Save money on rent for your office and other associated costs, like parking, gas, and electricity bills.
- Because your smartphone is typically always on your person, you can enjoy quick access to your business at all times. Whether it’s checking if a customer made a payment or gauging the success of your latest marketing campaign, you have visibility into your business’ daily operations and long-term functioning.
- Keeping your company’s important data on a device that’s always within reach can help you secure critical information about your business. Rather than storing crucial data on a laptop or other external device that could be stolen or viewed by anyone, having your phone nearby helps you rest easy, knowing that pertinent information is only accessible to you.
Cons of using a smartphone to run your business
While there are advantages that come with managing your business from your phone, there are a number of drawbacks as well.
- Staying on task can be challenging. We’ve all been there – you pick up your smartphone to check the weather or your bank balance, and end up scrolling through cat videos on TikTok or Instagram for 15 minutes. When you use your mobile phone for both personal and business purposes, you can end up getting distracted by all the other, non-work related apps on your phone.
- Maintaining a proper work-life balance also becomes tougher when you depend on your phone for business. Unlike a desk phone with voicemail set up, where you can turn off the lights in the office, close up for the day, and walk away without customers or employees contacting you after hours, your cell phone renders you accessible 24/7. It can be hard to know where to draw the line, especially when someone texts you with a request that will take just a few minutes to complete. You might end up finding yourself constantly doing things for customers and employees outside of normal working hours, which builds resentment and can contribute to burnout.
- The security risk of using your phone to run your business is very real. Spammers, scammers, and other cyber criminals are growing increasingly more sophisticated when it comes to their techniques. What might look like an innocent looking text message containing a link could mean that you’ve compromised critical information about your venture, including access to your financials, with just one click. That’s not to mention what could happen if your phone is lost or stolen – whoever finds it could potentially gain access to important aspects of your business.
The good news is that there are steps you can take to mitigate the downsides of using your phone to run your business. Be sure to use a password on your phone, so in the event that it falls into the wrong hands, nobody can gain access to your data.
Should you run your small business from a smartphone?
If running your small business via your smartphone is your dream, then the answer to this question is a resounding yes. Thanks to modern technology and a digitally-focused economy, you can manage your venture from your mobile device, if you choose to do so.
The key to running your enterprise from your phone, however, is ensuring that you have the right tools in your arsenal to do this effectively and quickly. That means embracing solutions like vcita, which allows you to collect payments, reach out to customers, empower them to schedule with you, and so much more, all in one app. With vcita’s app, you gain control over many of the most important aspects of your business, in a streamlined, easy-to-use package.